On July 2, Novant Health was selected as the recommended partner for New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC). The recommendation comes after nine months of work by the Partnership Advisory Group (PAG), a 21-member group of hospital board of trustee members, physicians and members of the New Hanover community charged by the county and NHRMC to determine the future of NHRMC. A request for proposal was issued by the PAG in January.
“We are honored to be selected by the Partnership Advisory Group as the recommended partner for New Hanover Regional Medical Center,” said Carl S. Armato, president and CEO of Novant Health. “Novant Health recognizes the tremendous effort and dedication by the group in determining what is best for the future of New Hanover Regional Medical Center and the community it serves. Novant Health and New Hanover Regional Medical Center are natural partners with aligned values and not-for-profit charitable missions. Both organizations are committed to partnering with physicians, caring for team members, as well as having a shared history of delivering a superior, patient-centered experience, improving community health and promoting equitable access to care.”
In its proposal for NHRMC, Novant Health is committed to providing the community with more:
- Access to affordable healthcare and generous financial assistance programs for families in need.
- Clinics, hospitals and advanced equipment to meet the region’s needs.
- Support for the behavioral health crisis, including opioid management, substance abuse treatment and whole-family resources.
- Jobs that will boost the local economy and support for maintaining current leadership and team members.
- Innovative treatments and technology advancements to deliver specialized care faster and locally.
- Support for the medical group and independent physicians, who already deliver high-quality care to the region.
To continue the academic success of NHRMC, Novant Health entered into a long-term agreement and partnership with UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine, which will provide continuity and expansion to medical education at NHRMC. The partnership will:
- Enhance and expand the Wilmington branch campus of the UNC School of Medicine.
- Extend and establish the clinical research of University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to Wilmington.
- Enhance local pediatric care.
The NHRMC board is expected to vote on the recommendation and, if approved, the New Hanover County commissioners will vote July 13.
For more information on Novant Health’s potential partnership with NHRMC, visit NovantHealth.org/
About Novant Health
Novant Health is an integrated network of physician clinics, outpatient facilities and hospitals that delivers a seamless and convenient healthcare experience to communities in Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Georgia. The Novant Health network consists of more than 1,600 physicians and over 29,000 employees that provide care at nearly 700 locations, including 15 hospitals and hundreds of outpatient facilities and physician clinics. In 2020, Novant Health was the only healthcare system in North Carolina to be included on Forbes’ Best Employers for Diversity list. Diversity MBA Magazine has also ranked Novant Health third on its 2019 list of “Best Places for Women & Diverse Managers to Work.” Novant Health provided more than $993.2 million in community benefit, including financial assistance and services, in 2019.